Westminster Canterbury Richmond joined thought leaders from around North America—providers of housing and services for older adults—to create strategies and tactics to help all segments of the senior living industry as it emerges from being locked down.
The strategies are collected in the white paper, “Creating a path towards the next normal in senior living,” available here.
John Burns, President and CEO of Westminster Canterbury Richmond, was a participant in the project organized by the ICAA COVID-19 Senior Living Task Force because of his overall emphasis on comprehensive wellness for residents of every level of living and care. The International Council on Active Aging (ICAA) focuses on active aging—an approach to aging that helps older adults live life as fully as possible within all dimensions of wellness.
The six strategies can apply to many types of organizations:
1. Design, re-design and/or renovate exteriors and interiors of buildings.
2. Develop purpose-driven, caring, passionate staff.
3. Provide technology to increase connections, aid efficiency and optimize health.
4. Develop the culture of positive aging, framed by all the dimensions of wellness.
5. Establish trust by being prepared to respond to emergencies and unexpected events.
6. Update perceptions to reinforce the new value proposition of each type of senior living.
The strategies and tactics developed by members of the task force are intended to trigger actions that individual organizations can take today, and what they could do to prepare for the midterm and long-term lifestyles necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Westminster Canterbury Richmond will continue to balance the safety of residents and staff while looking toward a bright future. The organization has successfully undertaken many steps during the pandemic to keep residents and staff safe and healthy. Effective measures include strong ongoing infection control practices, engaged and dedicated staff, emphasis on comprehensive wellness, commitment to regular transparent communication and a supportive pastoral care team. Staff and residents are committed to keeping one another safe while enjoying the vital lifestyle provided in this community. Westminster Canterbury Richmond is navigating the pandemic in positive ways.